Puppies, like little babies, need plenty of nutrients and proteins to grow up. So, when you just brought home a puppy, help the puppy develop a good eating habits is very important. The puppy’s menu must be nutritionally balanced, dry dog food and wet dog food must be included, and from time to time snacks should be given to the puppy. If you want to change a food style, you can also make dog food for the puppy yourself.
Let the puppy be familiar with the food you prepared
- In the first four weeks, let the puppy drink the breast milk, as it is contains nutrients that allow the puppy to grow healthily and have a strong body. Therefore, in the first month after the puppy is born, the puppy should be only fed with milk. If the puppy has difficulty feeding, help to put his mouth on the mother’s nipple.
- If you let your puppy wean prematurely, its health will be affected and even when grow up, it will get sick more easily.
- If the mother does not have enough milk, you can buy milk instead. After four weeks, start feeding dog food.
- After four weeks, start giving the puppy with a small amount of dog food. After sometime, it will start to eat dog food, usually about a month old. Gradually feed the puppy with dry dog food so that it can adapt. Initially, put a small amount of dry dog food in a small bowl and pour some milk in the bowl to make the food softer.
- Always look for dog food specifically for puppies, not adult dog’s food, because puppies food have 25% to 40% more protein compare to adult dog food.
- Puppies need two time energy compare to adult dogs, that’s one of the reason adult dog food is not suitable for puppies. Be sure to feed the puppy with the right food.
- There is no problem to feed the puppies with snack sometime, but the snack should not be given more than 5% of overall puppy food. To make puppies grow strong, we must ensure that we focus on healthy foods.
- It is best to buy same brand of dog food from the beginning. If your puppy is taking a brand of dog’s food before you adopt it, it’s best to not switch to others brand immediately. For puppies, it is difficult to adapt to a new brand of food in term of taste and food texture. You can change it slowly, so that, can give some time for your puppy to adapt the food. This can prevents the puppy from getting sick or anorexia because of changing the brand.
- During the first few days of the puppy’s adoption, let it eat the same brand as before. Then you can slowly add a new brand of food to the bowl and mix it with the old brand. Next, you can gradually replace the old brand with a new brand of dog food.
- This transition phase should last about seven days.
- You need to learn how much food should be fed to the puppy by getting more info about the new puppy. Different dog’s size requires different dietary habits. If you are not sure, ask the veterinarian. The amount of food given to a puppy depends on how much calories it needs to maintain a healthy weight and size.
- The veterinarian will help you figure out how much to feed and tell you how long it will take for a dog food brand, you are not recommended to just follow the instructions on the package to decide how much to feed.
- The ultra-small dogs will develop eating habits themselves and will not eat too much, so you can let them to eat freely. The puppies of medium and large dogs may get overdose of food if given too much. Feed the puppy three times a day, and make sure the food being placed at an area where it is not easily reach by the dog.
- Do not feed puppies over the dining table. When you eat, you may want to feed it with bacon, ham, or similar food, but don’t do it. To stay healthy, puppies need a structured diet, and enough nutrition from dog food. Human food is not good for the puppy’s stomach, and it may also cause obesity and other issues.
- When the puppies grow up, they can be fed with easyx digestible food, such as a little peanut butter.
- But keep in mind that the more human food you feed to the puppies, the more they want it, which will interfere with your training process.